One of my favourite ways of expressing gratitude is by journaling. I try to write in my gratitude journal daily and it really helps me to feel like there’s some good in this world even though everything is more challenging these days.
Practising gratitude has such a positive impact on your health and well-being as well as making you happier in general.
What is a gratitude journal?
A gratitude journal is basically just a notebook where you write down what you’re grateful for. You can make it as simple or detailed as you like. It’s completely personal to you.
My prefered way to keep a gratitude journal is by jotting down a list of things I’m grateful for each day. Sometimes I’ll notice that I’m writing the same thing most days and I’m okay with that.
Related Post: Gratitude Lists: The Benefits and How to Get Started
Once I’ve made my list, I like to expand on some of the things I’ve included on my list. As an example, if I’m having a good hair day, I like to write that in my life. If I were to elaborate on that, I could talk more about my confidence on a good hair day and how it makes me feel. If I wanted to take it further, I could talk about how to help myself feel that same way on bad hair days too.
Gratitude Journal Prompts
If you’re wanting to keep a gratitude journal but you’re not sure what to write about then I have some prompts to help you. These prompts can be used to inspire or you could use them as questions to answer, it’s up to you. Gratitude journaling is personal to you and should be done in a way that makes it feel good to you.
- What happened today to make you smile?
- A smell that reminds you of a happy memory
- Someone who makes you feel like the best version of yourself
- Have you done something kind recently?
- List your skills
- Something a stranger has done that you will never forget
- A song that perfectly expresses how you feel
- 5 things that make you smile
- What have you accomplished recently?
- Your favourite season and why it makes you happy
- A childhood teacher who shaped your life
- A good deed you can do for others
- 3 qualities you admire about yourself
- What made you laugh recently?
- 5 items you own that make your life easier
- A book that brings you comfort
- 1 thing you like about someone you don’t get on with
- What life lessons did you learn from your previous mistakes?
- Who has a positive impact on your body image and self-esteem?
- Do you have any bad habits? and how can you turn them into a positive?
- What can you do tomorrow that will bring you joy?
- Think about a hard time in your life and write down 5 things that have improved since then
- What could you do today to be a kinder person?
- A family member who has helped you a lot
- Describe your perfect version of yourself and write about what you have in common with your dream self
- How did your first love change your life for the better?
- If you have a pet, what are your favourite things about them?
- What money habits do you have that improve your life?
- 3 things you enjoy about today’s weather
- 3 talents you have and how they improve your life
- What are your hobbies and how do they make you feel?
- Your favourite food and drink
- What tv show have you been watching recently and why are you enjoying it?
- A family tradition you love
- What’s the biggest lesson you learned during childhood?
- What opportunities have you had that you’ve really appreciated?
- Describe a space in your home that brings you comfort and makes you feel cosy
- Write about a time you felt brave
- A random act of kindness
- 10 ways to continue practising gratitude